Computer for a friend of a friend

Talk about computer hardware here.

Moderator: victimizati0n

palmboy5
Site Administrator

Re: Computer for a friend of a friend

#16 Post by palmboy5 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:08 pm

I guess the $65 PSU I saw had its price raised? Most of the prices I listed were not just me throwing out a number, they're based off of the cheapest listing I found at the time that still looks reliable/trustworthy. I add the ~ because of course prices fluctuate in general but you can also catch sales and achieve costs lower than the numbers I put.

Saving power and money is actually the last factor I cared about when recommending a proper wattage and high rated (Gold, but you can go higher!) PSU.

Higher power efficiency rating = less heat production = quieter running fans (if any)

Look at mine, the SS-460FL is a fanless 460W Gold PSU, which is in that sweet spot where its heat production isn't even high enough to have a fan installed at all. Seasonic's current version of fanless PSUs qualifies for Platinum efficiency which allowed them to introduce a 520W fanless model too. I love me that silence, sir.

Even if you don't care about noise, I'd still go with high rated PSUs because of the higher quality components they'd have to use to meet those ratings. But whatever, PSUs of any rating should all run great for the duration of the PC's lifetime.

Now back to power savings. You don't need to get an 80 PLUS GOLD rated PSU vs a regular (more commonly Bronze now) 80 PLUS but the wattage aspect still applies. Don't overcompensate.
To qualify for 80 Plus, a power supply must achieve at least 80% efficiency at three specified loads (20%, 50% and 100% of maximum rated power). However, 80 Plus supplies may still be less than 80% efficient at lower loads. For instance, an 80 Plus, 520 watt supply could still be 70% or less efficient at 60 watts (a typical idle power for a desktop computer).[9] Thus it is still important to select a supply with capacity appropriate to the device being powered.
From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus#Technical_overview

If you're going to compare a Gold against your $70 750W 80 PLUS regular (apples to oranges...), make it more fair and look at 80 PLUS Bronze (regular 80 PLUS are rare now) options instead. A 450W Bronze is probably cheaper than a 700W Bronze, making it both the cheaper and smarter choice. :wink:

Your choice in power efficiency is flexible, but overcompensating in wattage is stupid no matter what.
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.

I7Iz490N
Site Moderator

#17 Post by I7Iz490N » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:50 pm

lol
Last edited by I7Iz490N on Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#18 Post by palmboy5 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:46 pm

I should note that for the case I recommended, it comes with one fan installed on the rear and one on the front. I highly suggest the rear fan be moved to the front as well so that there are only intake fans, which are dust filtered. This creates positive pressure inside the case so non-filtered leak/vent locations are exhaust. No dust should get in and airflow should double that of the stock configuration.

Apply this principle to any case that dust filters the intakes.
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.

I7Iz490N
Site Moderator

#19 Post by I7Iz490N » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:00 am

lol
Last edited by I7Iz490N on Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#20 Post by palmboy5 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:15 am

Yeah. I guess another thing to think about is it's probably a good idea for an intake-only case layout to have all unused intakes blocked or else that would technically be the easiest/closest route for air to escape.

The case I recommended is designed for two front fans.