teach me... dual monitors

Talk about computer hardware here.

Moderator: victimizati0n

mannyace

teach me... dual monitors

#1 Post by mannyace » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:21 am

all i kno is that i need 2 monitors and that ive got a pci express "256MB DDR ATI Radeon X600 SE with TV-Out and DVI"

1. so i wanna kno how to have 2 monitors running at once... is it possible with tihs vid card? what cables do i need? how would i go about doin it?

2. how would i have it so that the added monitor would be an exact copy (so i have 2 identical displays)?

3. how would i have it so my desktop/start bar could be extended (not a copy)?

4. how would i be able to have one monitor running in like a completely different room?

5. and finally... could i set up 3 monitors? could 2nd monitor be an exention and could the 3rd be a copy?

sorry for so many q's and thx

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#2 Post by palmboy5 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:33 am

1. yes it is possible, did your card come with a converter? something going DVI to VGA? or are both your monitors DVI? from what you said, it seems like both ports are DVI, so it should come with two converters to compensate. (unless ur monitors are DVI to begin with, then it doesnt matter.)

2. umm why? u can do it.. kinda hard to learn without just trying, its quite easy. your ATI driver should have some stuff about it...

3. this mode would be contradictory to the mode in #2, and you can KINDA do it using UltraMon:
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/
that program can also set up so the two monitors can have different backgrounds, among other things, basicly does what windows cant do by itself. must have.

you can see the replicated task bar here on my laptop:
http://s118134095.onlinehome.us/images/desktop7l.jpg
see, it KINDA extends it? you can choose which monitor gets the main one with the Start button.

4. wtf? XD i guess... u get a long monitor cable? and im assuming u wont be moving your keyboard around to the other room? or is that one just for display? i dunno... have two keyboard mouse pairs.

5. that card will be able to support two monitors and one TV, if u want a third monitor, you will need a second video card.
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.

mannyace

#3 Post by mannyace » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:45 am

is this dvi? http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20010627/dvi.jpg if so, ive got 1 dvi which is open and one standard vga which has my single monitor now

1. i could buy a converter if i need it depending on the new monitor i get right?

2. ur tellin me the desktop extention vs copy display is all software/driver related... but both are possible?? (if they can both be done, i can worry bout that later)

i want a display in another room but i dont need to have anything else in there, no comp, no keyboard, just so someone can see whats goin on

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#4 Post by palmboy5 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:53 am

yeah thats DVI.. your card didnt come with a converter?? O_O my old ATi didnt come with one but im thinking that was because it was OEM and the DVI port was some other version, one that doesnt support converters. better check on that too for your card. but im pretty sure its just some older version of mine...

1. i would buy it anyway... but thats cuz its not my money :] and for searching purposes, its called an adapter. not a converter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814999201

2. both are possible of course.

ur parents? ^^
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.

mannyace

#5 Post by mannyace » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:36 am

hahah no not my parents... i have a make shift vocal booth in my walk-in closet for my group and even tho its really ghetto it works... u close the door and its really quiet and good to record in there... except that with a closed door and its not see thru since its my closet, communication gets difficult

the person inside can easily say stuff to the pple outside (usually me) who are controlling the comp just by talkin into the microphone, but its hard to talk to ther person inside unless u stop everything and go open the door... so i was thinkin have a monitor in there and let the person read what i need to tell em ya kno?

mannyace

#6 Post by mannyace » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:40 am

i cant find a cable longer than 12 ft and i need a good 30 ft easy, maybe i should jus forget it... it was such a good idea tho...

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#7 Post by palmboy5 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:05 pm

ud prolly need to find some kinda amplifier too.. ont think it can go that long by itself.

but come on man... u NEED dual monitors :P not just for ur weird idea, just do it having them side by side!

mannyace

#8 Post by mannyace » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:32 pm

lol thas why i asked bout havin 3 cuz i want an extention (side by side) and a copy for the closet... ah well its not necessary, thx tho

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#9 Post by palmboy5 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:18 pm

:[ do what u can! lol ^^

mannyace

#10 Post by mannyace » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:00 am

ya i might jus get one for my desk...

as for the person in the closet, they jus wait for the door to open, thas how were gonna do it jus cuz i cant find a cable long enough...