how can i do this?

Comparisons and general chat about operating systems and computer software. No game chats here.

Moderator: victimizati0n

mannyace

how can i do this?

#1 Post by mannyace » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:21 pm

lets say i have a folder, D:\Hello, and its like 20 gb and its where i keep all my iportant files, the files i cant afford to loose but burning cd/dvd backups are useless since i often open, read and edit (and resave) the files

for now i jus copy and paste Hello on to my E drive and then i have a back up... then i go to D:\Hello and do whatev im doin to the files and save em if i have to

then when im done, i copy and paste again, copying the newly updated D:\Hello and pasting over E:\Hello, now im all backed up and theyr all updated files

now heres my question, can i have it set up (thru windows or thru some prog) where it will automatically update the back up E:\Hello with copies of the updated files from D:\Hello... it would be somethin like this...

i change and save a bunch of files in D:\Hello and then im done for the day, then at some scheduled time in the night or something, the corresponding files in E:\Hello are updated automatically... this way i dont have to do anythin manually and my hard drive wont be going thru big huge gigabite copy and pasting every day

id like it to be on a schedule so then i can tell it to do this automatically like at 5 am, that way ill have until 5 am to go back to an older version file in E:\Hello and back it up in D:\Hello if for some reason i dont like the changes i saved or if D:\Hello is accidentally missing something... also if i have till like 5 am, it means i can work on the files and if i go to sleep happy with the updates i made, i kno when i wake up E:\Hello will be an exact mirror

im not concerned with having a back up of a file from the past... my concern is that my backup needs to be updated alot and im tired of doin it manually lol... SO how can i set this up? how do i do it? can u suggest any software?

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#2 Post by palmboy5 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:43 pm

apart from only backing up newly modified files, the backup program within windows looks like itll work.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... x?mfr=true
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.

mannyace

#3 Post by mannyace » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:43 pm

is this back up like a way to reconstruct the files or is it actual copies of the files?

i dont want anything like compressed files, or ways to reconstruct loss or corrupted data

when i say back up i mean an exact duplicate

Site Jock

#4 Post by 2005 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:14 pm

Well... if your only dealing with a few files just make a mental note of the ones you change and then copy/paste them onto the backup archive.

Obvisouly if your working with 100's of files that wont work at all, and re copying the entire 20GB daily will wear your drive out pretty fast, much quicker then normal.

I have to look at something I have at home once, but I think I know what you need to do.

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#5 Post by palmboy5 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:36 pm

http://www.google.com/search?q=scheduled+backup

they all appear to be able to fit your needs
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.

mannyace

#6 Post by mannyace » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:09 pm

2005 wrote:Well... if your only dealing with a few files just make a mental note of the ones you change and then copy/paste them onto the backup archive.

Obvisouly if your working with 100's of files that wont work at all, and re copying the entire 20GB daily will wear your drive out pretty fast, much quicker then normal.

I have to look at something I have at home once, but I think I know what you need to do.
yeah it would be too hard to remember which files i changed and even then manually moving a few files in bunches of subfolders is harder than copying 20 gbs lol... but yeah that is a hard drive killer (btw anyway to check on ur drives health cuz ive prolly done the copying deal like 50 times but im done with that lol)

lemme kno what that thing is thats at ur house... and someone put me onto a program called mirrorcopy so im lookin into that

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#7 Post by palmboy5 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:48 pm

the latest version of SpeedFan can read your hard drive's S.M.A.R.T. data, just go to the 'S.M.A.R.T.' tab and click on 'Perform an in-depth online analysis of this hard disk'

EDIT:
lol i looked at my own drives' data and their 'Power On Hours Count' vary from 3769 to 3786 o.O they were all installed at the same time and have run as a trio the whole 5-6 months ive had 'em. why are they different??

Site Jock

#8 Post by 2005 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:08 pm

CPU-Z will give you hard drive health info, just go into the S.M.A.R.T. tab

That thing I saw was on my new 80GB external HDD... it will do a complete backup and not like you want to do.

EDIT: PB's right lol, I wsa thinking of speedfan
Last edited by 2005 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#9 Post by palmboy5 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:09 pm

2005 wrote:CPU-Z will give you hard drive health info, just go into the S.M.A.R.T. tab

That thing I saw was on my new 80GB external HDD... it will do a complete backup and not like you want to do.
you mean SpeedFan ;)

mannyace

#10 Post by mannyace » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:06 pm

what is SMART and i think i found some freeware that can do the back up stuff i want, ill check back in after i install and play with it

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#11 Post by palmboy5 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:07 am

SMART is some shit they put into all modern drives where the drives will log shit about themselves to help in diagnostics whenever needed

mannyace

#12 Post by mannyace » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:54 pm

know of anythin that can detect S.M.A.R.T. from USB drives?

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#13 Post by palmboy5 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:13 pm

nope, i think its a physical limitation with the IDE-to-USB circuit

mannyace

#14 Post by mannyace » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:40 pm

well thats gay

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#15 Post by palmboy5 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:47 pm

take the HD out and plug it in directly for a sec ;)