Why you should not get the Wii

For everything else.

Moderator: victimizati0n

palmboy5
Site Administrator

Why you should not get the Wii

#1 Post by palmboy5 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:51 pm

Looking at the three seventh-generation consoles available, two are ‘pricey’ powerhouses while one is unique and less expensive. The unique one is obviously the Wii, and it is currently experiencing high demand due to its popularity. Having been caught up in this wave of popularity, I also purchased a Wii and I will now explain why you should not follow suit.

Here we have a console priced at an attractive $250USD boasting a brand new way to play games. The Wii Remote allows the player to become more immerged into the game; the movement of the ‘Wiimote’ can mean the swinging of a bat, a tennis racquet, a sword, the thrusting of a knife, a throw of a ball, it can meet endless possibilities. However, the Wiimote isn’t as advanced as it needs to be.

You can point the controller to your side and neither the controller nor the console will know where the controller is. The Wii’s ability to think that you are swinging the controller for whatever purpose depends solely on the controller sensing motion. This limited tracking of movement makes it nearly impossible to truly immerse yourself in the game. To make gaming more realistic than with traditional button/knob controllers, it would be required for you to be able to control every direction of where, for example, a bat is. With the Wiimote’s limited tracking capability, the controller may be shaken or swung in any direction and would still trigger a bat swing that can hit the ball. You may swing straight downwards like you’re golfing and the bat will still hit the ball. Oh the realism, I feel like I’m in the game, I am so impressed. Not.

How is this any different from the press of a button? The only change that was made was the transfer from “a button was pressed” to “the controller was moved,” and not “the controller was swung at the correct height and angle to hit the ball.” To make the controller truly represent the objects you deal with in games, the controller has to be able to know which direction its pointing and at what angle. Simply put, the console has to know exactly where the controller is at all times. Why does it need to know this? If it knew exactly where the controller was, then it would be able to know whether or not you missed by swinging too low or too high. With what it can do now, the only factor in whether or not you hit the ball is timing. Is this something a button cannot do? Without true tracking, all you need to do to trigger a swing, stab, or any move in any game, is a jerk of your wrist. Given a week or less, anyone who has access to a Wii will realize that the best way to win a game or beat someone is to resort to the ‘jerking of the wrist’ method. There is no better method, and if you don’t do it, your opponent will. The wrist method allows for faster responses and less effort, heightening the ability to play games, and in the end is far safer for nearby furniture, the TV, and the people next to you. The Wii transferred game control from your fingers to your hand and due to its limited tracking ability, the triggering done by moving your hand is still equivalent to the press of a button. Nothing more. The Wii did not and will never be able to actually introduce new forms of gameplay. It is not a "revolution" in any sense.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl, the much sought-after game, one that I am also excited about, will not be using the Wiimote, it will still use GameCube controllers. Why not just stay with the GameCube then? In the end, the Wii is simply a compact gaming system only capable of a level of graphics suitable for cartoonish games for children at a maximum resolution of 480p. In a world moving towards High Definition televisions, is it really a smart move to only support widescreen progressive Standard Definition? The Wii Remote is not that great, and neither is the system. The main reason the Wii is such a hot item now is because the Wii’s controller is different and new. So new that nobody knows what it can do; nobody knows how truly limited and plain the Wiimote is. Once the majority of the consumers get a chance to realize the controller’s limitations, the Wii’s popularity is sure to plummet. Please do not waste your money on this system, it is not worth it.

For those of you whose reason to buy the Wii is “its affordable,” I have a wake up call for you. The Xbox 360 Core system is priced at $300, it already has plenty of good games available, and can do full 1080p HDTV. Not to mention that it can also be your player for music and videos, also at 1080p; all for a mere $50 to $70 (a little more for the component cable to display HD) more than the Wii.

P.S. I know I am being biased in further disliking the Wii because it cannot play music and videos like an Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 can. However, instead of blaming me of committing such an act, I ask you to look at yourself. To say being a media player is not the job of an entertainment system is simply being biased in the other direction, shame on you.
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.

victimizati0n
Site Drunk

#2 Post by victimizati0n » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:14 pm

im not reading all of that crap by you
ImageImageImage

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#3 Post by palmboy5 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:14 pm

Don't be so lazy. Its not that long and you have time.
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.

victimizati0n
Site Drunk

#4 Post by victimizati0n » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:14 pm

wanna sell me your Wii

ill pay you $275 for everything u got
ImageImageImage

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#5 Post by palmboy5 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:16 pm

I spent $250 on the console, $30 for extended warranty, and $20 for a component cable, I dont care if its used, your offer is too low.

I7Iz490N
Site Moderator

#6 Post by I7Iz490N » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:18 pm

lol
Last edited by I7Iz490N on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#7 Post by palmboy5 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:22 pm

'That guy' is me, and what inherent flaw? Please explain yourself so I can better shape it and possibly post it elsewhere.

victimizati0n
Site Drunk

#8 Post by victimizati0n » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:24 pm

palmboy5 wrote:I spent $250 on the console, $30 for extended warranty, and $20 for a component cable, I dont care if its used, your offer is too low.
$300
ImageImageImage

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#9 Post by palmboy5 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:26 pm

lol, 320 due to shipping! But seriously this is all up to my dad, he'll probably just keep it.

I7Iz490N
Site Moderator

#10 Post by I7Iz490N » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:59 pm

lol
Last edited by I7Iz490N on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

victimizati0n
Site Drunk

#11 Post by victimizati0n » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:25 pm

what
ImageImageImage

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#12 Post by palmboy5 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:50 pm

hes impersonating me, i think.. and its not overpay just yet. Its only worth it to me if i get all of my money back from the entire wii ordeal.
that means the $300 + my 8.75% tax = $326.25 which means im already losing money from my above said price. then you have to include shipping.

Site Jock

#13 Post by 2005 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:29 pm

Having a console be a media center can't hurt anything but it's not a focal point either. I love that my PS3 CAN do it, but if it couldn't I wouldn't have went with a 360 for that reason.