I have met with the devil

Talk about computer hardware here.

Moderator: victimizati0n

palmboy5
Site Administrator

I have met with the devil

#1 Post by palmboy5 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:26 am

Bought the new (Early 2011) generation MacBook Pro 13" with Core i5 2.3GHz. It has since been upgraded to 8GB because 4GB is way too little.

http://www.mylilsite.net/images/macbookpro2011/

I wanted to fully experience Mac OSX and what all the fuss is about, but not in the very temporary public/friend's computer sort of way. I would have to be able to set it up completely the way I want it set up for there to be a fair evaluation. Therefore, I got a Mac.

http://www.mylilsite.net/images/cineben ... latest.png
Benchmark-wise the dual core CPU is very impressive, it (2415M) not only smashed the former top dual core but almost meets the performance of the Q6600 quad. So much win in just 35 watts.

The system is... okay. I don't like OSX but I love the multitouch touch pad. Also enjoy Spaces/multi-desktop.
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.

Site Jock

#2 Post by 2005 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:37 pm

I see little to no reason to be involved with a mac

Sure its another thing to put on the resume but the key to this all my friend is market share.. and mac will never have the market share it needs.

Why? Because mac ruined it's chances out of the gate, using PPC CPU's and restricting which types of hardware it's OSes will run on, overpricing the shit out of their hardware and poor software libraries... the list goes on and on but I won't.

Apple lucked out big time when microsoft decided to dish out a mac flavored office suite. So now the colleges who all seem to have boners for mac's can dish out a office software that everyone already knows how to run (they learned on PC).

I must admit I turned my XPS M1530 into a hackintosh for a while. It lasted a few weeks before I decided I didn't like the OS at all.

Directive

#3 Post by Directive » Sat May 07, 2011 7:52 pm

2005 wrote:I see little to no reason to be involved with a mac

Sure its another thing to put on the resume but the key to this all my friend is market share.. and mac will never have the market share it needs.

Why? Because mac ruined it's chances out of the gate, using PPC CPU's and restricting which types of hardware it's OSes will run on, overpricing the shit out of their hardware and poor software libraries... the list goes on and on but I won't.

Apple lucked out big time when microsoft decided to dish out a mac flavored office suite. So now the colleges who all seem to have boners for mac's can dish out a office software that everyone already knows how to run (they learned on PC).

I must admit I turned my XPS M1530 into a hackintosh for a while. It lasted a few weeks before I decided I didn't like the OS at all.

:!: YEA :!:
This is only my opinion, I could be wrong.
Motherboard - ASUS S500TD Chipset Intel® B660
Procesor - 12th Gen Intel Core i5-12400 2.50 GHz(18M Cache, up to 4.4 GHz, 6 cores)
Ram - PNY 2x8GB (16GB total) DDR4 -1600 MHz
Video card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti - Base Clock 1290MHz, Boost Clock 1392MHz, Memory Clock 7008 MHz, 4GB GDDR5 128-bit
Display - VIZIO 32" E32-C1 YV @ 1080P 60Hz
Sound - Realtek High Definition Audio w/ Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Power Supply - 300W power supply (80+ Bronze, peak 350W)
HDD 1 - 512GB M.2 2280 NVMe™ PCIe® 4.0 SSD
HDD 2 - Western Digital WDC_WD10 1TB
Printer - Epson ET-3850
OS - Windows 11 Home x64

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#4 Post by palmboy5 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:38 pm

For Microsoft Office for Mac, it pisses me off that all of them display shit differently on the Mac. Its like the Mac 100% zoom is Windows' ~75% but you can never get it perfectly the same and even if you did, it still looks different due to different font rendering styles and shit. What really angers me is that once I save something on the Mac and open the document in Windows, the layout and everything is somehow messed up and I have to fix it. ABSURD. I use VMWare Fusion with Windows XP to run Windows Office on the Mac.

I'm still looking for a good archive program (WinRAR would be lovely lol) and am pretty sure a suitable one just doesn't exist... The "best" option on the Mac is Unarchiver that extracts the archive to a folder matching the archive file's name. That's just how it works. There is no view of the contents before extraction. It just extracts. When you consider any sort of large archive or if you only want one particular file, this "feature" is just CRAP. It was also made evident to me years ago that Mac users downright do not understand the concept of viewing files in an unextracted preview like programs like WinRAR offer. I've seen them on Windows treating these preview windows as folders and copying stuff in and out and trying to run exes from within. Its like those desert lizards that run right off a cliff because all they ever did was walk on flat land and only have a 2D perception of the world. Watching them makes my head hurt.

I've asked every Mac user I know (not many) for all the goodies they like on the Mac, like Spaces, and have incorporated all the best to my Mac usage style. I forced myself to use the Mac at home for a couple weeks and use it as my only laptop and would say that I'm pretty damn fluent on this thing now. But I think the best way to put it is... I have never ran into a situation on my Windows PCs where I thought "damn.. I wish I was on a Mac right now."
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.

Site Jock

#5 Post by 2005 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:07 pm

I don't think you ever will run into that situation either... lol

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#6 Post by palmboy5 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:07 am

BAHHH! I sank maybe 12+ hours into dealing with the MacBook recently.

All I wanted to do was take the Crucial 64GB SSD from the desktop (that I upgraded to a 128GB) and run it in the MacBook Pro instead. Installing OSX on the drive would always fail with the provided install DVD, a newly downloaded copy of Snow Leopard for my 13" MacBook Pro (not even a generic retail copy), and a copy of OSX Lion. Nothing worked. After enough toiling I find out that pretty much all SATA III SSDs don't work in the MBP with OSX. Apple's own SSDs are all SATA II so basically they never implemented support for SATA III even though their hardware supports it. You can install Windows 7 on the MBP and it would work just fine with SATA III, it was just OSX being shitty.

Luckily AND unfortunately the optical drive's port is only SATA II and I had already bought an adapter to put an HDD in its place, so I put the SSD there and it works fine, OSX installs and runs... but its only SATA II...

So now I have an SATA III SSD connected through the optical drive's SATA II port and the SATA II original HDD connected to the SATA III port in order for the system to work.

SIGH. Oh well, at least its still much faster than running the OS off of the HDD in any case.

Secondary gripe, I couldn't get any USB flash drive Windows 7 installers to even show up as bootable on the MBP, and it turns out the MBP is incapable of booting from Windows 7 DVD's that are in USB-connected optical drives. I had to swap the internal DVD drive back into the MBP to execute the installation.

If only the MBP would "just work" so I didn't need to waste so much time on this, that would have been great.