Browsers

Comparisons and general chat about operating systems and computer software. No game chats here.

Moderator: victimizati0n

Directive

Browsers

#1 Post by Directive » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:33 pm

ok, what browser does everyone use? Primary and backup if any. I use Chrome with IE as a backup. I only ask because Chrome has been glitching more often. Mostly with videos.
This is only my opinion, I could be wrong.
Motherboard - ASUS S500TD Chipset Intel® B660
Procesor - 12th Gen Intel Core i5-12400 2.50 GHz(18M Cache, up to 4.4 GHz, 6 cores)
Ram - PNY 2x8GB (16GB total) DDR4 -1600 MHz
Video card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti - Base Clock 1290MHz, Boost Clock 1392MHz, Memory Clock 7008 MHz, 4GB GDDR5 128-bit
Display - VIZIO 32" E32-C1 YV @ 1080P 60Hz
Sound - Realtek High Definition Audio w/ Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Power Supply - 300W power supply (80+ Bronze, peak 350W)
HDD 1 - 512GB M.2 2280 NVMe™ PCIe® 4.0 SSD
HDD 2 - Western Digital WDC_WD10 1TB
Printer - Epson ET-3850
OS - Windows 11 Home x64

Site Jock

Re: Browsers

#2 Post by 2005 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:54 pm

I've had fairly heavy usage of IE, Chrome and Firefox.

I find IE to be the "lesser" of the 3 in terms of quality and performance, but the legacy applications I work on only run in IE due to some really outdated code (and quite a lot of it) that just doesn't work right with newer versions of IE and even other browsers... so not only do I have to run IE, but basically IE 7....

My main browser is Chrome, but it's been pretty bad with some of it's problems for quite some time now... over 2 years. It's been a memory hog like no other, and I've had issues with it randomly crashing, freezing and acting sporadically until a reboot of the browser. If it would work properly, IMO, it would easily be the best of the major browsers.

I use firefox when chrome is acting like garbage or when a site won't play nice in chrome. I really only use IE when I have to use it for work, or for when a site won't work in either FF or Chrome. I hope Chrome gets their crap together soon. It hasn't been crashing as much, by man oh man the memory it likes to chew up.

palmboy5
Site Administrator

Re: Browsers

#3 Post by palmboy5 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:22 am

Chrome definitely chews up RAM, but I just throw money at THAT problem... Sometimes certain tabs with runaway memory leaks will use "too much" RAM and lag or freeze or crash, but I will end that tab and reload to "fix" it.

Firefox is backup, but I do use it specifically for screenshotting the DD-WRT WAN traffic graph because the labeling around the graph are in different positions in Firefox vs Chrome and the Firefox way is what my historical screenshots are like - just keeping it consistent.

Never IE. Thankfully I don't need to work with it for work.

The thing about Chrome is, it's still the only browser that runs each tab in its own process. Meaning individual tabs that are using too much CPU or RAM doesn't bog down the other tabs. I simply can't use Firefox because it ends up with lag spikes as all my tabs start fighting over the single process's access to my resources. I switched to Chrome due to this benefit several years ago, and it remains as the reason why I still use Chrome.
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.