Moderator: victimizati0n

Site Jock

Acer Iconia One 7 Android Tablet

#1 Post by 2005 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Acer Iconia One 7 B1-730HD-170T

I am REALLY liking this tablet. I picked one up with a case and a 3 pack of
screen protectors for it for $106 shipped to my door. It's running version 4.4
of andriod, has 16GB of flash memory, a micro sd card slot capable of handling
another 32GB, blue tooth, wireless, headphone jack a 1280x800 res screen.

Now of course, this is a tiny bit lacking compared to the flagship 7" tablets,
but most are at least twice as expensive as this one and I feel this tablet is
quite capable in usage. The pool team I played on bought this to use for taking
score. There is an app developed for our league and we can do everything through
this tablet. So we popped and I didn't want to buy an expensive tablet just because
of the environment (beer and food and whatever else all over the place) and it seemed
really capable.

I downloaded and installed hearthstone on it, which IMO is one of if not the most demanding
game apps out there and while it was a little slow loading at first... it's very playable. That
says alot, because hearthstone is a big step up from something like candy crush.

Even watching videos on youtube was very smooth, scrolling seems decently smooth.

All in all, one great little tablet for $100. If I were to go for anything else in this sector it would be
the updated google nexus 7 for $150. The $50 feels about "right" for the extras, if anything a bit better
of a value over the acer tablet. I just didn't want to pop on the more expensive one because of the likely
hood of this thing getting trashed.

Both are really good values, good ideas for someone just wanted to get into the tablet market to see
if it's something they like and both are great gifts for younger kids. If they trash it, it's not like they
trashed a $400 ipad mini.

palmboy5
Site Administrator

Re: Acer Iconia One 7 Android Tablet

#2 Post by palmboy5 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:24 am

My biggest reservation against getting a cheap tablet to play with (or laptop for that matter) is that their screens almost unanimously have terrible viewing angles. I wouldn't be surprised if the screen turned grey on the farthest edge when you deviate from looking at it straight on. Above all else, the viewing angle was why I bought and promptly sold off my ASUS VivoBook and got a Retina MacBook Pro instead.

I'm happy that yours came with Google Apps. Many cheap tablets do not because Google apparently charges licensing fees for their inclusion. Imagine having to sideload the Amazon Appstore and call it a day lol.
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.

Site Jock

Re: Acer Iconia One 7 Android Tablet

#3 Post by 2005 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:14 pm

The tablet does appear to have some "greying" when you turn it on an angle... but it would have
to be at such an angle that makes it awkward to use the tablet anyways. I don't think it's a huge
deal. Yeah I was thinking about a Kindle fire... a 50$ tablet is hard to argue with when it's made
from any kind of quality at all. Those $50 and under tablets from walmart are junk, just utter junk.
So if the Kinda fire is anything for the $50, it would be an interesting option. It's just stupid like
you've said that you have to side load google apps into it.

I like that this acer has google apps built in.

I think I've said it above but again I'd probably opt to spend the little extra and get a new Nexus 7
but for an application where you are even slightly worried about abuse, this is a pretty capable
machine for the low price tag.