Stay away from Hitachi Hard Drives

Talk about computer hardware here.

Moderator: victimizati0n

palmboy5
Site Administrator

Stay away from Hitachi Hard Drives

#1 Post by palmboy5 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:23 pm

Deskstar is Hitachi's desktop 3.5" line of hard drives. I'm going to be specific to this line because I have a Travelstar in my laptop with no problems whatsoever.

EDIT:
my Travelstar is now corrupted after 9 months so fuck Hitachi hard drives all together. not just their Deskstar line.

I got an 80GB 2MB cache 7200RPM PATA Deskstar and had to remove it from the PC after it stopped responding later into the boot. I believe it was a heat issue. The 160GB Western Digital in that PC is still running strong so this is Hitachi's problem.

Later I got a 160GB 8MB cache 7200 RPM SATA Deskstar and had troubles formatting it. Partition Magic continuously errored during the formatting process, and the error always occured in the same part of the formatting process. I managed to format the drive using Windows first, then with Partition Magic and it seemed all good, except the drive's S.M.A.R.T. data. My three other drives (WD and Seagate) got health ratings for fitness and performance between 97-100%, yet SpeedFan showed that the Hitachi's fitness and performance were both at 90%. 90% on its first day?? I gave it two days and checked back, the fitness had already gone down to 85% while performance stayed at 90%, but the scary part was that the Raw Read Error Rate went down to "91" and SpeedFan even warned me for the average value is "96-100".

I am returning this drive tomorrow and am posting this as a warning for you guys to stay away from Hitachi Deskstars. They are simply trouble waiting to happen.

UPDATE:
My laptop's 60GB 8MB cache 5400 RPM PATA Travelstar suddenly produced 28 bad sectors and after deleting all partitions with Partition Magic and trying to install Windows again had Windows frozen at 15% during formatting while the drive made a "di-di-trurururur-di" sound over and over again.
here is the S.M.A.R.T. data report for the drive:
http://www.mylilsite.net/images/hitachiSMART1.jpg
note the Raw Read Error Rate, the second NOTE, and the Fitness percentage. I had to take a picture because so many of my programs were fucked, I couldn't save a screenshot.

Fuck Hitachi.
Last edited by palmboy5 on Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.

palmboy5
Site Administrator

#2 Post by palmboy5 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:35 pm

updated for unfortunate news -_-
For computers, buying cheaply and often will only leave you constantly in a world of shit.